Recycling is voluntary in Jamestown. Below are ways you can produce less waste by practicing the 3 R‘s:

  • Reduce the amount and toxicity of trash you discard.
  • Reuse containers & products; Repair what is broken or give it to someone who can use or repair it.
  • Recycle as much as possible, which includes buying products with recycled content.


Standard Recyclables

These items can be taken to The Recycling Center located at 302 1st Street W, Jamestown. The Center is operated by Renaissance Recycling and is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Saturdays from 9:00 AM to Noon. For more information please call (701) 320-7312 or (701) 320-9218. You can also visit their official website at

  • Aluminum and steel cans
  • Plastic bottles #1 & #2, screw-top types only (caps off)
  • Newspapers and phone books
  • White paper
  • Colored paper and junk mail
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Magazines and glossy catalogs
  • Glass bottles & jars
  • Clothes, shoes, and hardcover books
  • Recyclable batteries
  • Corrugated cardboard recycling for businesses

Yard Waste And Paint

Yard waste such as grass, leaves, trees and shrubs can be dropped off anytime at the City Of Jamestown Landfill and Baler facility located at 3020 18th Street SE, Jamestown. You can also contact them by phone at (701) 252-5223.

Electronics And Fluorescent Bulbs

Some electronics may be recycled at Renaissance Recycling in Jamestown. Be sure to visit their website first to make sure they will accept your items.

Fluorescent bulbs can be recycled through Waste Management, Inc’s “Lamp Tracker” program. For more information please visit or call Renae Beeter at (701) 624-5776.

Thermostats And Thermometers

For information on recycling items that contain mercury, please call Central Valley Health at (701) 252-8130.

Plastic Grocery Bags

To get rid of old plastic grocery bags (those with a recycling symbol) you can drop them off at either Wal-Mart or Hugo’s.

Tires, Used Oil And Antifreeze

Old tires can be brought to any shop that sells them. For used oil and antifreeze you can contact your local vehicle repair shop or bring containers to the City Baler where it can be recycled.